Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ministering to PALS and CALS (part I)


I have really been trying in the last few weeks to reach out to PALS (Person(s) with ALS).  I really believe the Lord has given me a passion for these people, and I have been reaching out to them and encouraging them by writing on their blogs.  Some are newly diagnosed and are bitter.  It has been very hard on them not being able to do all the things they used to do.  Some have written that they will never see their child get married and have kids, while others are sad about the burden they are placing on their loved ones.  I read a lady’s blog today in which she was asked to describe ALS.  She wrote that it was a continuous series of losses.  She mentioned losing one thing after another, from loss of strength, to loss of independence. 
It is tough reading their blogs about their feelings and emotions they share.  I know their fate is death, and the road ahead is very difficult.  ALS is a horrific disease and PALS have to suffer so much.  I desire for each of them to have a personal relationship with Jesus.  I wouldn’t want them to suffer while here on earth then suffer in hell because they did not know Christ personally. 
I was invited to join several facebook ALS groups.  Most are there to support one another.  Some are the PALS themselves, while others are family members.  Some people have joined the group because someone in their family has died from ALS, and they are trying to bring awareness to the disease, while others are raising money to find a cure.
These people have grown on me.  I view them as family, and we have never met.  We have a bond, a connection that we share.  I guess it kind of reminds me of the Christian body of believers.  One PAL I am following is Tom.  Tom used to serve as a chaplain for Hospice.  He had to resign because he too found out he had ALS.

No comments: