Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ministering to PALS and CALS (part II)


Some ALS patients chose to be placed on a ventilator to help them breathe. Their lives are extended past the average 3- 5 years. Though doing so may be costly and burdensome on some families. One lady has been on a ventilator for twelve years and another man for fourteen years. They both have the best attitudes and are leading a good life despite of all the negative aspects of the disease.
Some of the people I am following via Twitter, facebook and on their blogs use special devices to help them communicate their needs. One lady still has her voice and uses voice activated software to speak to the computer, and it types out the words. A lot of PALS can no longer use their hands because they are paralyzed. One man pecks with his middle fingers on both hands. Several PALS use a computer that tracks their eye gaze which in turn types out what they want written.
I have also joined the ALS Forum in which I post two chapters of this book each week. I wanted to be able to help people now. This is what I thought I should do. The threads I post on go under the Past Caregivers (CALS) section. CALS (caregivers of PALS look under this section for support and often have a lot of questions because of the PAL they are taking care of. I get excited when a CAL replies a nice comment to my thread. It is nice to “see” I may be helping someone now instead of waiting till the book was published!

No comments: