Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Just like that"


 
“Just like that” were words that came to my mind a few times yesterday.  A friend’s 18 year old son was killed in a wreck Sunday night.  He just graduated this year from high school and was to start college this week.  I did not personally know him, but he was a very smart kid who was talented in the field of technology.  He helped at church and various other places with the lights and sound during productions, and he was very talented with his computer knowledge.
He spent pretty much the whole day at various church functions on Sunday, and that night after taking his girlfriend home, his truck veered off the road, went into a ditch, hit a culvert, overturned, and he suffered fatal injuries.  
 
My husband was telling me this about his death while we were talking on the phone.  I was on a road near their house, so made a U-turn and diverted from my plans.  When I got to their house, there were a lot of people there, but my friend, her husband and their daughter were at the funeral home.  I stayed for short while because I was told it would probably be a very long time before they would be home because they had a lot of decisions to make.

I was originally on my way to help Aunt June for the afternoon before I got the call, so after I left their house, I went to help her.  While Aunt June and I were out running our errands, she needed me to run into the grocery store.  I was about to pass the flower section and stopped in my tracks because the flowers were beautiful, and I wanted to buy some for the family.

I prayed pretty much the whole day for the Lord to give them grace, peace, and mercy. My prayers changed as I was on the way to their house.  I prayed for the Lord to give me abundant strength.  I wanted to be strong for them and did not want to break down and cry.    

No comments: