Tuesday, February 14, 2012

“I love you” (part l)


“I love you,” are the hardest words for Dad to say.  His parents did not tell him that, and he is not that way.  When we were growing up we never doubted whether Dad loved us.  His favorite way to show us he loved us when we were younger was to body slam us in the mornings before we would get out of bed.  I was in my early thirties before I remember Dad saying those words to me.

I wondered if he would be more apt to say it since Mom passed away.  The day I was getting ready to drive back to Athens, Lauren, Ashton, and I were telling Dad goodbye.  I told him I loved him and he replied, “I love you.”  When I got in the car, I noticed I could not find my cell phone.  While I was on Dad’s screen porch, I hollered out to Dad, who was out in the garden, that I couldn’t find my cell phone.  I then noticed it was in my pocket.  I did not know if I had enough money to buy the kid’s lunch, so I said something to Dad about it.  He told me I could get some money off his dresser drawers.  I got some money then told Dad bye, and I loved him.  He said, “I love you.”  Two times in one day is amazing.

 U Are you taking for granted the words “I love you?”  U

** part II will be posted much later.

No comments: