Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What’s next? (part I)


Monday night rolled around and Jamie called me to tell me the report from Mom going to her doctor.  Mom really liked this doctor, and she suggested Mom not get the feeding tube or the trach.  She suggested Mom go through Hospice.

Angie, the Hospice nurse, came by and evaluated Mom.  She told us the options Mom had.  They did not have someone from Hospice which could come home with Mom and take care of her.  Our family was to be the caregiver.  We knew Dad could not handle taking care of her anymore and was not an option.  An option was for her to be admitted into the Hospice facility which has twelve beds.  There are two nurses on staff and two helpers which would mean if Mom needed to use the restroom she may have to wait before someone could help her.  She pretty much needs someone with her at all times.

U  Are there suggestions your health care provider can give you concerning negative events/things they know will probably happen to better prepare you?  U

After she got out of the hospital, she could be admitted to the Hospice facility, or get care at home.  If Dad needed temporary help, they could admit her for five days to give Dad a rest, or if she did not like the facility, she could go back home.

At first, Mom did not want anything to do with a trach or a feeding tube.  She did not want any outside help to prolong her life.  Then after the visit to the doctor and getting evaluated by Hospice, she has decided to get both the trach and the feeding tube.  Dad called the doctors from Mayo and now something needed to be done immediately.

Jennifer stayed with Mom this past weekend, February 27th, to let Dad rest during the night; she stayed up with Mom.  She told me the most Mom slept was about thirty minutes.  The doctor put Mom on a patch to help dry up her secretions so she would not choke.  Since she was on this patch, they did not put her on the medicine that helps her not go to the bathroom as much.  They were up a lot of the night going to the bathroom, sometimes every fifteen minutes.

Jennifer told me Mom is talking a lot in her sleep now.  Joan, Mom’s friend in her Sunday school class, had been trained with Hospice up North.  She gave Jennifer a book called, Final Gifts.  It spoke of things patients go through when they are near death. 

Jennifer told me Mom woke up during the night and with a blank stare looked at her.  She knew Mom was still asleep.  Mom talked in her sleep about the conversation she had with Angie.  One of the things she said in her sleep that disturbed me was, “Stop breathing.”  Since Mom does not share her feelings with us, I did not know if she had already given up. 

Her quality of life right now is not much.  She truly is suffering.  She even struggles to say a few words.  I called her last night to talk to her.  Dad answered the phone, and I talked with him for a few minutes.  He said he was resting for a little while.  I told him I knew it must be hard on him and he replied, “You have no idea, no idea.”  I told him I wanted to talk to Mom.  Mom got on the phone, and I told her I loved her and was praying for her.  She said a few words I could not understand.  I did not ask her what she said but commented I knew she could not talk very well.  She said she loved me and then we hung up the phone.  It was a very brief conversation, but I wanted to talk with her because tomorrow she would go into the hospital.  Dad had gotten in touch with the doctors at Mayo.  They decided to admit her to get a feeding tube at 7:00 a.m. the next day, which was March 2nd, 2004.

No comments: