Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Home alone


There was a fair in town, and Dad had mentioned something about taking the kids.  Jamie said Dad wanted to get out in the garden.  He said he would take them to the fair, and he wanted to work in the garden when he got home.  After Dad left, Mom and I were home alone.  I found Charles Stanley preaching a sermon on TV and left the channel there.  He was preaching on God’s will.
 
A friend of mine I went to high school with called.  We talked for a long while.  I did not talk quietly because I thought Mom was deeply asleep. 
 
As I was watching TV, I heard a gurgling noise come from Mom and directed my attention towards her.  Mom had been breathing through her mouth recently, and each time she took a breath, her tongue would move forward and back with each breath.  I then noticed the number of times her tongue moved decreased greatly.  I knew she was taking her final breaths.  I had just spoken to Dad since I had been home about Mom and her decision not to be resuscitated.  Dad also told me if Mom stopped breathing, not to call 911, to call the Hospice number.

U  Has the caregiver been given instructions on what to do or who to call if the loved one stops breathing or has a heart attack etc.?  U 

No comments: