Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Her funeral (part I)


I had asked each one of my kids if they wanted to see Granny at the funeral home before they buried her.  I told them she would have makeup on, and she would look pretty.  They both said they did.

We all had the jewelry Mom had left for us.  Lauren and I wore a necklace of Moms, and Ashton had a silver cross in his pocket.

The family met early, and we went into the chapel to see her.  I stood by Lauren and Ashton as they looked into the casket.  I told them they could say anything to her or hug her if they wanted, but she was not there.  Lauren kissed her, but I forgot to mention to her that she would be cold.  She kissed her and pulled back a little, but did not say anything.  I said to Mom, “I love you Granny.”  I wish I had said, “I love you Mom.”  They gathered the family in a separate room and started seating people.

Aunt Julie came up to me and said Ashton wanted to go back to see her one more time.  It was almost a quarter till and that was when they were going to close the casket.  I walked with him quickly past all the people in the rear of the chapel.  It was crowded because there were no more seats, and they were starting to get out chairs.  Ashton and I walked down the aisle as everyone was already seated.  We walked up to the casket once again.  He hugged her and kissed her on the edge of her hair.  I told him to kiss her there.  I did not want him to see she was cold.  I told her, “I love you Mom.”  I am glad I got a chance to say that.  The hardest part was walking back down the aisle in front of all those people.  People were standing in the vestibule because there weren’t enough seats.

U Are you keenly listening to the wishes of the children/grandchildren?  (They may not get another chance.)  U
 U Have you prepared the children/grandchildren by reminding them to kiss their deceased loved one on the hair?  U

When we got back to where the family was gathered, Jim was there.  He said a prayer, and then we were ushered into the chapel.  I wanted an audiotape of the funeral service and asked them to do that for me, but I also wanted a videotape of the service as well.  Dad happened to have a tripod in the attic, and I had it set up before the service began. 

No comments: