Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tuesdays with Morrie



Paul told me he saw a movie on TV I needed to see.  We went to rent it, but it was already checked out.  We went to two stores that night to buy it, and neither one had the movie.  The next day Paul went to another store and found the movie. 

The movie was a very hard movie to watch because it was about a man who had ALS (Morrie), and he ended up dying at the end of the movie.  His former student came to visit him each Tuesday, and Morrie taught him many life lessons.  Morrie slowly started to deteriorate, and it reminded me of watching Mom lose the ability to do things.  He struggled to hold his glass to drink, he was unable to drive, and he needed people to get him up and down out of a chair.  I think one of the hardest parts to watch was seeing him crying in bed when he dropped his pencil.  He thought of something he wanted to write down, but he could not pick up the pencil.

If Paul was not in the room, I would have openly lamented out loud.  It wasn’t a cry like you have when you watch a sad movie and have tears in your eyes.  I was crying, crying.  One time I let out a noise as I was crying and stopped quickly because Paul was in the room.  The movie flooded me with so many emotions and memories of Mom, but I was glad I watched the movie.  I told Jennifer and Jamie last night, I think they should watch it.

No comments: