Thursday, May 23, 2013

Uncle Jim’s funeral (part II)



I did not want them to worry about lunch, so I told them I was taking care of lunch.  They decided on a restaurant around the corner that served good home cooked meals.  Elizabeth and I got several to go boxes, and we had a nice lunch.
I knew they would be getting a lot of food so I talked to Elizabeth and told her I would clean out the fridge.  If anything was past the expiration date, I threw it out.  There were several items that I did not know how old they were and Elizabeth would tell me whether or not to throw them out.  I was later told when I get to Heaven, Uncle Jim would get on to me about throwing out perfectly good food (the ones that he would have thought were still good even though they had expired.)
As Aunt June was cleaning up, she was walking towards the closet with his jacket.  I took it from her and hung it up.  It was weird hanging up the coat he probably wore the day before.  I thought to look in the pockets to see if there was anything in them.  I found a receipt and handed it to her.  I can’t remember exactly what it was, but it seemed like he was going to take the receipt and get something a store did not have in stock.  Maybe it was a rain check.  She put the receipt up and said she would get it for him. 

I asked if there was anything else I could do.  Elizabeth asked me if I would vacuum the house, so I did.  I wanted to help as much as possible but did not want to be in their way.  I felt they needed time to grieve and be by themselves too.  That is a hard issue to figure out.
I noticed the day before that her back deck was covered in leaves. So, the next day I came over, I got the blower, blew off the deck, and straightened everything.  I was just trying to think of things I could do to help.

2 comments:

mielkay said...

One of the things my mother-in-law privately asked me to do was speak to a few funeral directors about the price of service we could get with limited resources for my father-in-law. She had mentioned this to her children months before but all of her kids was in denial. Two weeks before he died I spoke with 4 funeral directors before I found the one who would show my father-in-law before he was cremated. He had 2 life insurance policies but one was a term life and worth nothing.

After he died my mother-in-law had to only finalize a couple small details. I helped my mother-in-law with the insurance policies and filing for survivor benefits. We bought groceries or whatever she needed.

It's the small things that everyone did that mattered to her.

Judy Royal Glenn said...

Thank you for your thoughts. I did not even think it would be a problem viewing a loved one before they were cremated. Wonder what the issue would be?