Thursday, May 30, 2013

Uncle Jim’s funeral (part IV)


 I asked Elizabeth if she wanted me to be there when they talked to the funeral home, and she said yes.  All the details were all discussed, and Evelyn brought a list that Tom wrote down of things to put in the obituary.  The family decided to do the burial themselves having an informal meeting of family and close friends.  Tom was going to dig a small hole for the urn the day before.  There would be a memorial service at the church after the burial and money to their church would be given in lieu of flowers.
 
The funeral home did a very thorough job, and it was nicely and discreetly done.  I thought of one thing that was not discussed which was getting the flowers transported to the burial.  They said they would do that.  When I started thinking about it, there would not be any flowers there because there would only be a small group at the burial; it was early in the morning before the memorial service was held.
I was torn whether to do flowers or donate money to his church as they desired.  Kimberly mentioned about having all white flowers, but that could not be done as there was not a place to put their wish on the website as people ordered.  So, I decided to get a nice arrangement of white flowers and take them to the burial before anyone got there.  I thought about how nice it would be for the family to see flowers when they arrived.  Evelyn had everyone over to eat the night before the funeral, and I took the flowers over there for everyone to enjoy.
 

No comments: