Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Uncle Jim’s funeral (part V)


We got to the burial site early, and I was very glad to get there early because there was a black tarp over the hole and bricks holding the tarp down.  Lauren mentioned how we were there first.  I told her I wanted it that way so I could put the flowers out before they got there.  I rushed out to get the tarp and bricks up and place the flowers at the burial site.  When the family arrived, someone came up to me and mentioned about getting the urn out of the car.  I got it out then did not know whether to put it in the hole or sit it at the top of the hole.  What would they want me to do?  I came back and asked Kimberly, but she had not thought about it either.  I placed the urn in the hole and would get it out if Aunt June wanted me to.  Kimberly had a wreath made of magnolia leaves and placed it by the hole.

 U What small details can you think of to help the grieving family?  U
The service was simple but just what Uncle Jim would have wanted.  Their family loved to sing, so of course we sang!  Each person was given a chance to toss dirt in the hole or use the shovel to cover the urn.  Their grandson Simon helped in filling the hole too.  After the service, we went into the fellowship hall of the church where they had coffee and hot chocolate because it was a cold day.
Kimberly mentioned everyone wasn’t crying.  I told her I was trying to be strong for them.  She told me she was crying a lot.  I told her that was okay for her to feel that way and for her to express her emotions.

We then went to Aunt Polly’s house.  It was the house Uncle Jim’s sister lived in a long time ago.  It has a huge magnolia tree in the front yard and everyone has fond memories of visiting Aunt Polly and climbing in her tree when they were younger.  “Kids” young and old climbed the tree that day and since no one was currently renting the house, the owners let everyone visit inside the house.  I took pictures of everyone in the tree.
 
The members of the church fixed a wonderful meal for the family before the memorial service.  The service was special as it was a celebration of Uncle Jim’s life.  Music was abundant and there was even a time for people to stand and share a story about him.  After the service, a reception was shared in the fellowship hall with a video showing photos of Jim and also a video clip of him singing in a quartet.

No comments: