Thursday, May 2, 2013

“It’s like it never happened.” (part I)



Well, this afternoon I took the cookie logo off of my car because we are closing the business next month.  As I was taking off the logo, the thought ran through my mind, “It’s like it never happened.”  My daughter came outside, saw what I was doing, and said the exact thing I was thinking!  Great minds think alike.
I asked Paul to sit down, and we put all of the shops expenses on paper.  We knew it was too expensive to keep the shop where it was.  Paul even looked at two small spaces that would save us a lot of money each month, but when you add all the expenses up from worker’s comp., taxes, rent, insurance, employee wages, etc., it does not add up.  So, I milled on it for a few days.  I could not ask him to keep putting money into the business.  I sat him down and told him when we were closing.  He already knew we needed to close the shop; he was waiting for me to realize it.  This was my job and “my baby”, and I would have taken it better realizing myself we needed to close instead of him telling me.  He does not have an emotional attachment to it like I do.
I wanted to personally tell my employees before they found out from other people.  I had them come over to my house that Sunday, and I told them the news.  My daughter, Lauren also works for us.  I was sorry for them because they were losing their jobs.
Lauren mentioned that it was sad, and it was not fun losing your job.  I know someone who owns several restaurants.  I called him to let him know we were closing, and told him I had a daughter and two employees that needed jobs.  He told me to send them to get an application, and Lauren has an interview tomorrow!  

No comments: