Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Grandmother (part III)


We drove down to St. Simons Friday night.  Joann called and asked me what memories I had of Grandmother because she was putting together what she wanted to say.  Dad wanted her to speak during Grandmother’s memorial service.  The fond memories that came to my mind were of Grandmother’s house over the river.  We would go there frequently when I was young.  I remember fishing and catching a sting ray.  I have a love of crabbing which resulted from the many times we crabbed at her house.  Once I caught a snapping turtle in my crab net too! 
The more recent memories were of my kid’s playing cards with her.  They would play “Go Fish”, “War”, and other games.  They really looked forward to spending special time with her.
I got up early Saturday morning and went to the beach to take pictures.  I took a few while I was thinking of Grandmother.  It was hard to believe she was not here anymore.
Several ladies from Dad’s and Claudia’s church brought over food for the whole family Saturday for lunch.  Everyone was to be there at 12:00 p.m. because the memorial service was at 2:00 p.m.  I asked Claudia and Dad if they cared if I didn’t change into my dress yet for lunch.  They did not mind.  Dad said, “You have a dress?”
Once Jamie got there, she asked me if I was going to change before everyone got there.  She mentioned I would be the only one not dressed yet.  So……I decided to put on my dress and fix my hair before everyone arrived.  I was pulling out grey hairs in the bathroom as everyone arrived.  Taking after my mom!  Jane and Julie, Grandmother’s nieces came as well as Aunt Julie and Aunt Janet.  Kelli, Myra, and their children came also.

No comments: