Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The results


I went to get my blood work first on Friday. The receptionist said she would call me on Monday with the results. I then went to get my MRI. He said he would send the results to the doctor Monday, so however long it takes the doctor to read the results is when I will find out.

I looked up MS on the internet this past weekend to try to learn a little more about it. I don’t know if everything is okay. I may not have ALS, but my muscles are not the same. So maybe I do have MS. I thought about him telling me the results over the phone meaning nothing was probably wrong. He could also call today and want me to come in because something is wrong. He was adamant on ruling out MS though. Hopefully, I will find out today and be able to move forward.

Evelyn was not very happy with me Friday. We needed her to pick up the kids, so they would not have to go to the doctor’s office. She asked me what I was going to the doctor for, and when I told her she said, “Don’t hide things from me.” I told her I had not said anything to her because I had not even told my family yet, and it was not the right time to tell them. We have had a lot going on in our family lately: Dad losing his job, Mom dying, Jamie losing her baby, and Aunt Jackie getting cancer.

Last night, I called Jennifer. I wanted to know how the ALS Walk-a-thon went. She told me she already raised $2,500, and I had not even sent her my check yet. I wanted to tell Jennifer what was going on with me. I knew out of all my sisters, she would be able to handle it without me knowing the results. The first thing I told her was I did not want her to be mad at me. She asked me how long I knew. I told her since the beginning of May. She understood and said she would have done the same thing. I was glad to finally be able to tell her. I told her I would find out the results this week and would call her. I also told her not to say anything to Dad and Jamie because I would tell them this weekend when I saw them. I will also call Joann and tell her. The tricky one is whether to tell Nana. If it is just BFS, I probably will not tell her. If it is MS, then I probably will wait a little. She worries so much and lost weight when Mom died. She needs to get strong.

The wait has gotten a lot harder because it is Tuesday around 11:00 a.m., and the doctor’s office has still not called. It just leads me to confirm I have MS. If the blood work would have been normal, they would have already called me. They are probably getting the MRI and checking it out thoroughly.

I finally called the doctor’s office either Tuesday or Wednesday to ask them the results of my blood work. They called back and said the blood work was good. She mentioned something about the B-12 and did not know what he would do about it. I started taking vitamins hopefully to correct the B-12. I called back Friday to ask if they had the results of the MRI. I told her I would be out-of-town and for her to call my cell phone with the results, so I could tell my family in person when I saw them this weekend.

I told Jamie as we were eating dinner, once I got to St. Simons. I brought the subject up by asking her how I should tell Dad and with what details. She suggested I not mention about the MS and that I got a MRI but had not gotten the results. I told Dad, and he was fine. He just wanted me keep an eye on it since Mom died of ALS. I also called Joann and told her while I was on St. Simons. She could not believe I went through that without being able to tell them. It would have added too much stress on my family.

Yesterday, October 18th, I finally got the phone call I had been waiting for. She was sorry she had not called, but the MRI was read and was fine. I called Dad, Jamie, and Joann, told them the news then went to sleep. The one scripture I read in the last couple of days was very relevant: “I know the plans that I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me.” Jeremiah 29:11-13.

U Are you letting God be your refuge and your hope? U

U Are you relying on the doctor’s time frame in getting the results to you? (DON’T!! I put myself through too much stress assuming things were wrong because they did not call when they said they would!) U

No comments: