Thursday, July 19, 2012

This heart of mine (part II)


Jamie called me yesterday, February 20th, to prepare me for Dad’s phone call.  She told me Dad was only dating one person now; her name is Claudia.  She was the lady in the picture on Dad’s chest-of-drawers and the lady that went on the cruise.  I was glad Jamie called.  She said Dad wanted us to know before we (my sisters) came into town because he wanted us to meet her.  I told Jamie it would be less abrasive if I met her at lunch and not at the house.

I am going down to St. Simons for spring break.  The last time I went to St. Simons for spring break, Mom passed away.  It is even going to be more difficult because I will be there March 14th, the day Mom passed away, and I am going to meet Claudia.  It will probably take me three weeks to mentally prepare myself.  The tears fell like rain last night.  Why does this have to be so hard?  To me, it is almost like another death, it is like grieving all over again.  It is so painful.  I remember looking at Mom’s picture a long time ago when I found out Dad was dating and said, “I’m sorry Mom.”  It is so personal.  I guess it has been harder on me because I have had to deal with Mom’s death almost every day as I have written and edited this book for a year.  I have not been able to separate myself from the book…….from the past.  The Lord also makes each person differently, and I have had a harder time dealing with it than my sisters.
 
I talked to Jennifer on the phone yesterday.  I told her the only thing I will ask Dad is if Claudia has asked Jesus to be her personal Lord and Savior.  The Bible says we are not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever. 

U  Are you praying for the future spouse of your loved one that they would be a believer?  U

Next month will be a year since Mom has passed away.  I know everything will eventually be okay for me.  Just the shock and reality of him dating will take time to heal and mend.  It is going to be another hurt to overcome.  I know I would want to remarry and to move on with my life if Paul passed away.  Dad has had to go through the emotions of processing everything out such as accepting her death, moving forward with his life, and looking to the future.  I have not gone through all these processes yet.  I know the Lord will continue to help me heal and mend this heart of mine.

The one song that keeps comforting me during this period of time is, “He Will Carry Me,” by Mark Schultz.  As I was reading the words for the first time today, it did not surprise me he wrote the words, “Can mend this heart of mine.”  I felt I had the Lord’s help in coming up with a title for this chapter and was confirmed for the millionth time.  Mark wrote in the jacket cover of his CD, “This song was not originally going to be on this record.  It was meant for another project but I never forgot about it because I listened to it one night about a year ago over and over and over again when I had been so discouraged.  I was holding on to it like a life raft in a storm in the middle of the ocean.  This is a clear picture of what God will do if you call out to Him.”  This should be confirmation to Mark that the Lord had a reason why he wanted this song on this album.  If not for anyone else, it was just what I needed, when I needed it. ( I encourage you to look up the words of the song!)

Last night, the scripture I read in my devotion stated, “And the God of all grace, who called you in his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered for a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.” (NIV, 1 Peter 5.10)  This scripture comforted me as I struggled to ask God to help me let go and move forward.  I gave Him everything: Mom, her death, Dad, the future, and my book.  The things I don’t understand, I am going to have to trust in Him.

U  Are you giving your loved one up unto the Lord?  U

Shultz, Mark.  “He Will Carry Me.”  Mark Schultz, Stories & Songs. Word
        Entertainment LLC, Nashville. 2003.    

No comments: