Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I don’t want to know anymore (part II)


Mom is not eating or drinking orally for now.  Again, Mom had to sacrifice something.  This time the joy of being able to taste food especially her favorite foods.  Imagine craving a pizza, a milkshake, or seafood, and now you can’t ever satisfy that craving again.  Mom loved a cup of Coke without ice.  The doctor said she can eat or drink as much as she could tolerate.  Joann said before the surgery her eyes were sunken, and she did not have any color.  She said she looks much better now, and if Mom did not have the surgery she may have already died.  The surgery has bought her some time.

U   Are you being sensitive concerning not eating or drinking around your loved one if they can no longer eat or drink?  U

Dad is still figuring out what to do with Mom’s care.  Joann said if Dad sends her to a Hospice facility, he might as well go ahead and drive in the nail because she will give up.  She said Mom loves for Dad to take care of her.  This is funny because she did not want him to at first or at least she did not want him to stay home from work. 

Joann told me the small details like: Mom liking to suck on the corner of a wet rag; that she could not control her head any more, and restroom issues.  One of the funniest things Joann told me was Mom said she has an emergency.  The emergency was Mom wanted her head to be scratched.  I just think that is so cute.  She said Mom still has her spunk.  She told me Mom was concerned about Joann leaving her purse here and there while at the hospital.  Joann said her purse was attached to the wheelchair, and if someone wanted to take it then they would get a whirl.  It is funny Mom, in her weak state, would think of Joann and use such effort to speak with her weak voice.

Joann said she did not know if I would be able to handle Mom by myself.  I have two bulging discs and arthritis in my neck.  She seems to think I will mess up my back, which makes me even more determined I can do it.

U  Are there small details you can pass on about assisting your loved one?  U

No comments: