Friday, October 28, 2011

MOM!! MOM!!

 
Just a few hours earlier, I had placed Dad’s cell phone number and the Hospice number on the closet door.  I quickly called Dad’s cell phone and in a panic state told him Mom almost stopped breathing.  He told me to call the Hospice number.  I shook Mom and said out loud, “Breathe!!”  I then called the Hospice number, and they said they would page Angie.  Angie called back, and I told her what happened.  I asked her if I should use the BIPAP machine, and she said I could if I wanted to.  I did not know much about the BIPAP machine and did not want to bring Mom back to life if that were not her wishes.  She said she would be there in a few minutes.  I then called Dad back and asked him whether or not he wanted me to use the BIPAP machine and he said I could try. 

As I was right in the middle of helping Mom, Nana called.   I asked her if I could call her right back.  I did not know that the BIPAP machine assists the patient; it will not breathe for them.  I remember calling out very loudly, “Mom!!.....Mom!!”

U  Has the primary caregiver educated friends and family concerning the exact functions of equipment and administering medications if they will be left alone to care for the loved one?  U

U  Are the instructions and phone numbers discretely posted in the room?  U

No comments: