Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The fruits of my labor




I received back the fruits of my labor through my volleyball player.  She knew I had been struggling greatly about not being able to coach, and one day in the parking lot at school, she told me she had something for me.  I walked with her to her car, and she handed me a present.  She told me I could open it later.  I thanked her and went about my way.  When I got to my office, I opened the present.  She had made me a little booklet.  On the front it said, “When the going gets tough…..always remember:”  When I opened the booklet, I noticed she had written scripture on each separate index card.  The scriptures related about going through tough times and trusting Jesus.  At the back of the booklet, she wrote, “I love you, coach. Forever” and she signed her name.  I got tears in my eyes as I read several scriptures.  I told her I would keep it in my desk and probably need to refer to it often.

I saw this same student this summer, the week before school started, and she asked me if we could go out to dinner or get dessert.  She needed to talk to me.  We couldn’t decide where to get dessert, so I asked Paul for a suggestion.  He suggested a book store that had good desserts in the back of the store.  I met her there, but before she arrived, I decided to buy her the same book I read over the summer by Charles Stanley.  I gave her the book as we sat down, and we shared a slice of cheesecake. 

She poured her heart out about what all she was going through.  I helped her with the advice she needed to hear.  The Lord has something incredible He is going to do with her life.  I am just trying to steer her to look to God and honor Him.

No comments: