Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Putting up corn


 
Adam invited Claudia and the kids to put up corn at Myra’s mom’s house tomorrow.  First, I had Claudia explain to the kids what “putting up corn” entailed.  Adam was going out early the next day to pick the corn.  The kids would help shuck the corn then help prepare the creamed corn to be stored in the freezer.  I wanted it to be their decision since we were on vacation.  Ashton said, “I’m in!”  Lauren wanted to go also.  So, we decided to go.

U What will each person call the new family members?  (Ashton was asking me what he should call Adam.  I personally don’t like the word “step,” so I told him to call him his uncle.  In reference to Claudia, I say, “My dad’s wife.”  Everyone will be different.)  U 

Later that night Ashton said, “I can’t wait to help my uncle with the crops.”  I thought it would be a great chance for the kids to bond with Adam and Myra because they have not spent much time with them. 

The kids had a blast and were a big help with the corn.  They wanted to shuck corn instead of playing kickball.  Lauren and Ashton enjoyed getting to know everyone.  Lauren even got back out of the car to hug everyone goodbye when I had to go back in the house to get something.  On the ride home, they were both basically saying they were ready to do it all over again. 

U  Can you offer to get together both sides of the family, so they can bond?  (It can be something as simple as “putting up corn.”)  It is important for the new spouse to not pull the loved one away from their family.  Someone told me a man remarried another lady, and she pulled him away from his family basically making him choose between her and the rest of the family.  U

No comments: