Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Muffin (part VI)


I went through the same things after Muffin died that I went through when Mom died.  I heard Dad’s dog walking through the kitchen and thought it was Muffin and remembered she was dead.  When I saw her belongings, it reminded me she was not here.  I missed her and thought about the first night without her, the first rain without her here.  I knew it would be hard when we went back home because it would be quiet.  She was always at my feet.  She was “my dog.”

Again I have learned so much.  It is amazing how much you learn from death.  It always seems something major happens in my family on spring break.  Mom died 2004, on the anniversary of Mom’s death we find out Jackie had cancer, Jackie’s burial was in 2007, and Muffin died in 2008.  I have decided that my spring break is for me to learn possibly so that others can learn.  If I have to suffer and endure so others won’t have to, or if I can help others out, I will.

One issue I struggle with the most is whether or not Muffin is in Heaven.  I am reading a book written by Randy Alcorn called Heaven.  It is a great book which uses scripture to answer so many questions people have concerning Heaven.  He discusses issues concerning animals in Heaven as well, but the Bible does not specifically state that dogs will be in Heaven.  This makes me sad not knowing whether I will see her again.  With Mom, I have the assurance I will see her again because she and I are born again believers having asked Christ into our hearts.  Because I was so distraught about whether or not Muffin was in Heaven, it made me focus even more about wanting mankind in Heaven.

U  How much more important is mankind than animals to God?  U

As a family, we talked at lunch about a new puppy.  Lauren said she was ready, Ashton was not.  We are going to have to figure out what the right timing is for all of us.  I don’t know when that will be.  You have to do what you want to do. 

When giving advice to someone after a death, you have to be careful.  Most people don’t know what to say, but they are sorry.  But as far as the next step, it could be a little tricky.  If you mention you should do this…..and tell them what you think they should do, it might not be what they should do.  It might not be what is right for them.  Only they will know.  You could mention what you went through and how it helped you.  The wording is important in how the advice comes across.

U  Are you being careful how words are used when giving advice to someone after a death?  U

No comments: