Thursday, January 17, 2013

The death of my teaching career (part I)


Since 1989, I have been teaching physical education.  Most of my teaching career has been in Christian schools.  I have found purpose and a sense of accomplishment in my job because of the lives I know I have touched forever.  The Lord has always very specifically put me exactly where He wanted me to teach, and I knew I was where He wanted me to be.

While I taught, I knew I was there to help the students to better themselves instead of me being there just to teach physical education.  I was also there to give the students an ear to listen to their personal problems and concerns whether it would be about parents or friends.   The kids would come into my office frequently to get the boost of self-assurance they were looking for, or the sense of belonging they needed.

In April, I had a meeting with the high school principal and the interim headmaster.  I knew before I went into the meeting, “I did not have a job.”  It was kind of common sense, considering who I was meeting with.  I had asked to teach part-time, so I could run my shop during the day.   But they needed my job to be full time for next year.  I knew I could not teach full time because for two months I did that when our chef was leaving, and it was too much for me to handle.

So there I sat.  I had already prayed and mentally prepared myself so I would be strong.  They were sorry and did not want me to leave, but I did not have any another choice.  I went to the shop right after the meeting and sat in the parking lot and cried.

It still is very, very, hard, and it is September.  The other day, I watched the teachers outside the school building.  They were helping kids get into their cars.  It made me sad because I wanted to be there.  I had to pray about not being jealous.  The school is a very special place to teach, and I can’t be a part of it anymore.

No comments: