Thursday, January 3, 2013

A lesson for me to learn (part II)


This morning on the way to church, my cell phone rang.  It was Dad.  I knew right away it was not good news.  Dad called to tell me Granddad passed away this morning.  Dad stated that he was in Heaven and with Grandma Freddie.  I told him he couldn’t know that for sure.  As of the last time I talked to him he was going to Hell.  Not comforting words for a grieving person that just lost their loved one.  His salvation lately has encompassed me, and I blurted out the words without even thinking about Dad’s feelings.  Yes, it was what I was thinking, but not what needed to be said.  I don’t know even sitting here, what I should have said.  I guess, I can ask Brother Bill how he normally replies when the person’s salvation is unknown.

Yes Granddad could have within the last few weeks had a personal encounter with the Lord.  The Lord could have personally spoken to him or something that was said before could have finally sunk in.  God could have used my dream to speak to Granddad too.  Or when the Chaplin came by, he could have led him to the Lord.  I hope I can find that out, or the Lord will reveal it to me.

U  If the loved one’s salvation is unclear, are you being careful with your words making sure you are being considerate of the other person’s feelings?  (Everyone wants to think their loved one may be in Heaven even if they may not be.  This should press us even more to witness to our loved ones.)  U

I talked to one of the preachers at my church this past week.  He made the suggestion I could have said to Dad that I hoped Granddad made that decision.  He mentioned focusing on the living and the opened doors my granddad’s death had created such as conversations in leading others to Christ.

U  What open doors have been created for you to witness to a loved one?  U

No comments: